It’s great that you’ve decided to buy an outdoor trampoline, but before you buy one there are a few things you’ll need to think about. Trampolines are pretty big items, so you’ll want to make sure you’ve chosen the right trampoline for your household to avoid stress later on. You may not have given the shape of your trampoline much thought, but it is an important thing to think about. Read on to find out more about rectangular and round trampolines!
Trampolines which are designed for recreational and domestic use tend to be round, and as a result when you think of a large outdoor trampoline you will probably visualise a round shape rather than a rectangle.
- Round trampolines are more common, and as a result they also tend to be easily available and cheaper in price. If budget and convenience are big priorities for you then a round trampoline is your best bet.
- Round trampolines offer a more consistent bounce because, thanks to the circular shape, there are equally positioned springs all around the mat.
- Round trampolines will naturally direct the user towards the middle of the mat. This is because of where the position of the springs and the general round shape, as the best and easiest bounce can be found in the centre of the trampoline.
- This is quite important in terms of safety because it means that the user is less likely to land on a spring or in a place with less bounce. It is also less likely for the user to fly off the mat entirely, although we would still recommend that you buy a safety net just in case.
- Round trampolines are a good, cheap and safer choice for families who want to use their trampoline for recreational and exercise purposes.
Disadvantages Of Round Trampolines
- Round trampolines will normally support less weight than other shapes, and that means that it may be less safe for more that one person to use the trampoline at the same time.
- You will have a lower bounce on round trampolines and a higher bounce on rectangular designs. This is a good thing in terms of safety (especially where young children are concerned), but it may feel like a drawback when you are not able to leap as high as you would lile.
- Round trampolines are not as suitable for complicated tricks and acrobats.
Rectangle trampolines are commonly used by professional gymnasts as the shape will naturally allow the user to bounce higher. The location of the springs also allows for more controlled take-offs and landings which is ideal if you want to perform tricks.
- Rectangular trampolines are a good choice for professional athletes, competitions and performing tricks. The size of a rectangular trampoline gives you more space for performing tricks, which is very important if that’s what you want to use it for.
- Rectangular trampolines will let you jump higher than you could on a round trampoline. This may not be the safest option, but it is definitely more fun and it makes it easier to perform simple and more complicated tricks.
- Rectangular trampolines give the user more control over their take-off and landing. The shape of the trampoline also means that you won’t be gravitated towards the centre of the mat and you can effectively take-off and land on any part of the mat.
- Rectangular trampolines tend to have thicker, studier frames which will provide the user with a sturdier bounce to match.
- Rectangular trampolines can often support more weight than round models, which means that it is safer for more than one person to use the trampoline at a time.
Disadvantages Of Rectangular Trampolines
- Rectangle trampoline shapes are more commonly associated with professional and acrobatic use, and as a result they are harder to find. They also tend to be more expensive than round trampolines.
- The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia recommends round trampolines because, as the bounce is less powerful, there is less risk of serious injury.
- Rectangular trampolines allow you to jump from and land on any part of the trampoline mat, whilst round trampolines will gravitate the user towards the centre. This may mean that it is more likely for a user to fall off a rectangular trampoline than a round one, although in either case an enclosure net is a good idea.
When you are looking at trampoline shapes it is important that you choose a trampoline which is designed for what you want to use it for. Rectangle trampolines are normally intended for athletic and acrobatic use, and so if you are in a trampoline society, you want to work on some tricks or you’re a professional then this is the shape for you. If you want a trampoline for your children, for recreational purposes and if safety is a bigger concern than performance you are best off buying a round trampoline. If you are looking for a cheaper, more available option you should also opt for a round trampoline.